Saturday, March 31, 2012

8 ways to deal with Anger as a parent

1. Recognize you can't control others, you can only control your response to them. Be positive. Set limits if needed. Recognize what is in your sphere of influence and what is not.

For example, I can't control that my toddler is teething and up all night. I can control how I act when he is screaming. :)

2. Choose to look for the good. Being nit picky or focusing too much on what your child is doing that is annoying you will make you more frustrated.

For example, if your child keeps saying, "No mommy" or hitting a sibling, instead of saying, "don't tell me no" or "stop hitting," think of what you want your child to be doing instead and tell them. Sometimes we forget that kids are just kids and they are still learning. Often we tell them what not to do... but they don't know what to do.

3. Give yourself a time out.

Remove yourself from the situation. When my son was a baby he had horrible colic, sometimes I would need to just set him in his crib and lie down to give myself a five minute break, it helped me be a better mom to him

4. Get plenty of sleep and eat well.

A coke and chocolate bar doesn't count. :)


5. Exercise regularly.

I totally notice the upbeat attitude I have about life in general when i exercise regularly. Its my little hour break from being a mommy everyday that I always look forward too!

6. Pray and seek inspiration.

I pray every day that I will have patience with my kids. I also pray that I will know how to be a good parent. During the hardest parts of the day, saying a quick prayer can help me get an instant boost.

7. Ask for help.

As I mentioned I am a full time college student, as well as mother and my husband works full time and goes to school full time... we stay busy. And I happen to have the best mom and mother in law ever, they come about every other week to help out (we live a few hours away from all of our family) I dont know how I would do it without them!

8. Spend time with friends or family who are supportive.

Nothing to turn my day around like taking my son to the park with a few other mommies who know what I'm going through! We can laugh at the hard moments and catch up on our lives. Friends are one of the biggest stress relievers I've found! Plus it gets me out of the house!
Compliments of Toddlerapproved.com

No comments:

Post a Comment